Sunday, July 11, 2010

You're stuck...where? You want HOW much?

Ahhh, the scammers are out in full bloom now, just smell that fishy fragrance.
In one crochet group recently, there was that good ol' "I'm in another country and have been mugged and all my money and my passport has been stolen, the embassy is not helping fast enough, I need money now." that was posted.  Now, I know that sometimes, these scammers hack into other people's accounts and use them so that the email seems to come from a person you know, but many others do not.
One woman in the group was quite derogatory about the 'sender', let's call her 'Jane', and blasted 'Jane'.  I pointed out that it probably wasn't 'Jane' that sent it at all, but that someone probably had hijacked her email.
Sadly, this went through to the group BEFORE that name was removed...and this is one scammer who was waiting for a reply.
I was fortunate enough to get a personal email from the scammer.
"Thanks for you getting back to me,yes i sent you the email.Actually i came down here for a program and on my way back to the Hotel where i was staying, i forgot my little bag in the Taxi where my money, passport, documents and other valuable things were kept, i am facing a hard time here and really stranded here  because i have no money on me right now.I contacted the embassy here to help me out but it will take some time for them to get back to me,i urgently need your financial i will appreciate what so ever you could afford to help me with and i promise to pay you back as soon as i get back home.
Hope to hear from you soon,"

Uh...yeah.  You'll be hearing from me, hate to see a 'friend' stuck (btw, all my friends are present and accounted for--and you're not one of them, but oh, well, if you can't trust an unknown stranger, who can you trust) and sure, I'll forward a couple grand to help you out.  Right after I finish sinking all this money into running here and there and paying fees to get that inheritance from overseas.  Or after that several million dollars is put in my account so an anonymous person can remove it from their country, for which they will give me a sizable chunk.  (there's a few of those, I don't think my descendants will EVER have to worry about money)
And after all the goodies come rolling in from forwarding emails about commercial products and hotels and whatever else, maybe I'll share some of those with you, too.
Of course, my email might be shut down so I might not be able to contact you.  I don't think I forwarded the MSN/hotmail/aol/Yahoo message enough times, you know, the one about deleting inactive accounts that didn't forward this message x number of times?  So please provide me with your name, phone number, physical address, social insurance/security number, bank info, oh, and don't forget the PIN.

No comments: